About Me

Currently a senior at Emmanuel College hoping to have a better understanding in literary theory. Originally from Yarmouth, ME and resides in Boston, MA. Aspires to be a sports journalist in the next 5 years. Plays baseball and basketball for Emmanuel.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

More on Marxism

I never realized how many examples we can take from Marxism and relate it to life in American Society. After reading Dr. Craig’s post on the Theory and Academy page, I have a much better understanding on Marxism and how we are able to use it. We can identify Marxist ideas through text as well as in our everyday lives.

The point in Dr. Craig’s post that really got to me was when he got into professional sports from a class standpoint. I have always known that professional athletes make more than enough money, but I never thought twice about it. It is amazing that the majority of the money comes from the middle class buying tickets, jerseys, hats, etc. As an avid sports fan I always looked to how my teams were benefiting me. I have never really considered all of the meaning behind fans simply rooting for their teams. This is a great example of the higher class controlling and maintaining their power. As long as the working class stays loyal as sports fans, there are so many ways to bring in their money.

Consider the New York Yankees. The Yankees played their last game at the original Yankee Stadium just last week. After all of the history and tradition going into that stadium, the owners decide its time to move on. The new stadium has in fact a lesser amount of seats than the original, but holds more luxury boxes. The owners are certainly not looking out for their fans in this case. All in all, the Yankees will of course receive the same amount of praise. This is because the team is more important than where they play and how much the seats cost, which is exactly the thought they want us to buy into.

4 comments:

Warrior of Peace said...

That's like all of these government buyouts on big companies like AIG. The taxpayers pay billions of dollars each (700 billion dollars for buy outs, when there are only 300 million americans means we will each pay quite a bit of money)while the major executives in the company, the people who ran it into the ground and caused this market debacle, are recieving tens and hundreds of millions of dollars in funds.
Golden Parachutes are bullshit it is just the government taking care of their own at the normal man's expense. Laws are for everyone but those who make them.

Hiravda said...

I must have missed the part in Dr. Craig's article about the sports example but I think that is a very helpful way of thinking of Marxism. The example of sports fan of the working class supporting the upper class through their teams gear and the example with the new Yankee Stadium really shows what Marxism is about.

sunharbor20 said...

Being a huge sports fan too I never really thought of how I am literally "supporting" the high profile athletes....This comparison really helps me understand Marxist ideas regarding class and authority. But I still don't second guess buying a Sox T-shirt!

Das Kapitol said...

I think that it's important to realize that I never said anything about the athletes themselves. My issue is with the owners. As far as I'm concerned the players, while very well paid, are still employees. If you think that the players are making a lot of money, imagine what the owners are making in order to pay these player and still make absurd profits.